Monday, August 26, 2024

What Makes a Poem - Max

I read a lot of poetry. I write it too. 

I know a lot of people sigh and huff when they hear “poetry” and dislike it due to the unstructured nature of its creation. But, unsurprisingly, the poems that are often read in classes and for homework aren’t the only types of poetry. 

The great thing about poetry is the fact that it can take many different forms. A poem could be a letter written to your past self or a run-on narration of your feelings. 

Sometimes they rhyme, and other times they’re formulated just as formally as an essay. The real importance is the feeling. 

Any piece can be a poem as long as you want it to be. 


In Depression & Other Magic Tricks by Sabrina Benaim; she writes a piece entitled “better together: a Jack Johnson erasure”. It includes a large block of text, though the text is blocked out. It removes the words that are, though written, unwanted and leaves the two phrases she wishes to keep; “I believe in memories” and “But there is not enough time”. Though this poem is not traditional, having few words featured, it conveys emotion and a goal. And, most importantly, she wants it to be a poem. 


the witch doesn’t burn in this one by Amanda Lovelace is another prime example of a poetry book including traditional poems beside some that are a little different. In her piece “a girl’s first words:” only one phrase makes up the page; “‘i’m sorry.’”, listed ten times. The same is said on the next page, a poem titled “a girl’s last words:”. 


Though these poems may not be the average Shakespeare or Edgar Allan Poe, they still convey intense emotion. The strange writing style often conveys more if the theme is to show the strangeness of life or other ordeals. Emotion and want for a poem is what makes a poem, not the way it sounds.


5 comments:

  1. Hey Max! I love poems too. I like how you explored the flexibility of poems and how different they can be, depending on the message you want to convey. I usually just write poems, so I should read some more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max! I completely agree that poems can seem more unorthodox sometimes and come in different forms, ultimately bringing more options, especially those who may dislike traditional poems. I love how you also gave some examples; I'll definitely have to look at them next time I want to read a poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Max,

    I don't really read poetry too much, but I do trust your opinions on unique poetry. I like to see the different styles, and thanks for giving some examples! I might check some of them out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I don't read poems that often, I agree that poems can take a lot of different forms and that the emotion is key to reading poetry. I'll be sure to check out some of the poems you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a poetry hater but this is actually really interesting. Do you have other recommendations?

    ReplyDelete

Nothing to do With Reality

 Fantasy stories are fantasy stories for a reason - dragons, trolls, and gnolls do not exist in the roundworld. Fantasy is meant to be for f...