Monday, September 9, 2024

Wonder: A Childhood Classic - Chloe L.

Wonder, written by R.J. Palacio is a classic book that I read a couple of years ago. It’s a quick and simple read but it’s a story that teaches many young kids about overcoming obstacles and situations that you will face in life.

The main character, August (Auggie) Pullman, was born with a facial difference that prevented him from going to public school– until now. He’s about to attend fifth grade (the first grade of middle school in this district) at Beecher Prep, an upscale private middle school. If you’ve ever been the ‘new kid’, then you already know how hard that can be.

Auggie is just an ordinary kid in his own eyes, but can he convince his new classmates that he’s just like them, despite appearances?


As he enters his new school, there’s all kinds of new classmates: welcoming people, nerds, jocks- and bullies. Auggie is the target of Julian, a bully who bothers him throughout the whole school year. However, he builds new friendships with Jack Will, a kind kid, who accepts Auggie and enjoys his presence. Even though there's blocks and conflicts throughout the story, Auggie eventually learns to be independent and that standing out is okay.


As his family, new friends, and the community that surrounds him, all struggle to discover their true role and acceptance in society, Auggie's extraordinary journey through his obstacles will unite them. Auggie Pullman becomes the most unlikely of heroes when he enters fifth grade.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Chloe! I also read Wonder a few years ago and I remember liking it! I really liked your summary of the book, as it's exciting and gives you clear details of the book. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this book so clearly. I like how you talk about his view of himself versus others' view of him. I never thought about it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read this book before, and I really liked it! Your summary of the story is really engaging and I like how you depict Auggie as a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Comment Written By Naomi)
    Hi Chloe! I love Wonder, I read it several years ago and thought the story was beautifully written. This is such a wonderful summary about the book! It makes me want to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that as short as the book may be, the message it gives is like no other; bigger than the book itself. Great review, peeking a bit into what the book is about, yet not too much to keep us hooked; Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Nothing to do With Reality

 Fantasy stories are fantasy stories for a reason - dragons, trolls, and gnolls do not exist in the roundworld. Fantasy is meant to be for f...